Parrot fever is spreading in Sweden with fears that the disease could spread more widely, with 25 cases of the disease reported since September, including 12 in December alone.
The disease, caused by a bacterium called Chlamydophila psittaci, is mainly transmitted from birds to humans via airborne particles from the feces of infected wild birds.
Speaking to The Telegraph, Professor Paul Hunter, from the University of East Anglia, said: “Human-to-human transmission may be more common than previously thought.
Country of Parrot fever
Swedish authorities have grown alarmed over a rise in cases of an infectious disease spread by birds. Parrot fever poses a severe risk to babies in the womb.
In total 25 cases have been reported in Sweden since September 25, and 12 more in December.
Parrot fever is a respiratory illness that can lead to severe pneumonia and meningitis, and poses a significant risk to fetuses at 80 percent and mothers at 8 percent.
It also leads to the death of 90 percent of infected young birds.
Of the 45 cases recorded in Sweden earlier this year, 28 were reportedly caused by handling poultry or birds in cages, according to Swedish public health officials.
Among the 45 cases reported in Sweden earlier this year, 28 were attributed to the handling of poultry, caged birds, or bird feeders, according to Swedish public health officials.
In 2022, a paper published in the Lancet journal highlighted the disease’s potential rise, calling it “an emerging public health risk to medical workers and other close contacts”.
Infections have been detected in eight Swedish regions, including Västra Götaland and Kalmar.
Health alert after parrot fever
University of East Anglia, Professor Paul Hunter told the Telegraph: “Human-to-human transmission may be more common than previously thought.”
Pregnant women face significant risk, with an 80 percent chance of fetal mortality and an 8 percent risk of maternal mortality.
Furthermore, the disease kills a reported 90 percent of the young birds that it infects.
This disease is caused by Chlamydophila psittaci, a bacterial agent that is primarily transmitted from birds to humans via airborne particles from contaminated wild bird feces.